Here are basic guidelines to get started chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. We hold a monthly Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism meetings series. Check our calendar for time and location.
If you have decided to give chanting a try, here are some basic instructions to get you started.
1. Find a quiet place with no distractions facing a blank wall with no pictures. Try not to let anything distract you.
2. Sit in a comfortable chair, preferably a straight back chair that allows for proper posture to sit still and breath well. If you prefer, you can kneel Japanese-style. Posture is important. Try not to slouch.
3. Place your hands together in front of your chest. If you have beads, place them in your hands as in the picture. Be sure to ask if you have any questions.
4. With your eyes open face the blank wall. Chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo three times slowly. This is called Daimoku Sansho.
5. In a calm easy voice, begin to chant in an easy rhythm. Feel free to chant as long as you wish, but try it for at least 3-5 minutes.
6. When you decide that you want stop chanting, just stop with the last Kyo. Take a breath and recite Nam Myoho Renge Kyo three times slowly .
7. As a beginner, we recommend chanting in the morning for about 10 or 15 minutes and in the evening for about 10 or 15 minutes.
8. The best way to learn is to come to the temple and chant with the Priest as often as you can. You are most welcome to visit the Temple.